April 6, 2017

April A-Z : Everything

'Everything' - The Bangles - front view of record
Everything: An album by The Bangles which introduced me to female rock bands
— According to me

Once upon a time, The Bangles' Everything album was the album I knew every word to to. I mean every word, even to the song "In your room" which I sort of half like. Of course, I hadn't a clue what any of the songs meant. I was just a kid. I just knew when I like a song or an album, I didn't really have to understand the lyrics. I just loved listening to them and that was enough. And they even have the lyrics printed on the album so you really couldn't get the words wrong.

The Bangles
I knew, well, half knew, The Bangles members' names : Susanna Hoffs, Michael Steele, and sisters Debbi Peterson and Vicki Peterson. I actually preferred Michael's vocal a lot more than Susanna's and she was the one people said had the best vocals. But like everyone else, I couldn't really get the song 'Eternal Flames' out of my head once I heard it. My favorite songs would have to be "Complicated girl" and "Glitter years" with main vocals by Michael; and "Crash and burn" and "Bell Jar" with main vocals by Vicki. Here's some lyrics from the song "Bell Jar"

attached to a mirror
in her glass sided prison
she writes the note that will excuse her from this world
it's complicated
living in a bell jar
and she suffocated
living in a bell jar


Do you have any albums that you knew the words to when you were a kid?

To visit other participants in the April A-Z Challenge, go here

11 comments:

  1. I think I knew the words of songs on the radio more than a particular album, but I at one time I probably knew all the words to the songs on John Mellencamp's Scarecrow - or pretty close to it - and the Hooters' record, which I can no longer even remember the name of!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a non English native being a kid listening to pop music was tough. I went along and sang what I thought I understood. Today this makes me laugh.
    I loved ABBA, and I remember one of my favorite songs supposedly said "thus your mother no" (does your mother know), hahaha! My son is doing much better. Of course these days youtube videos provide lyrics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its funny when we are young we have countless hours to listen to one album. I havent dont that in years. Thanks for sharing your favorite.
    A Piece of Uganda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of them! But probably heard their songs and didn't know it. =)

    -Operation Awesome

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a big fan of "80's" music and know the words to many songs. Even now, songs I haven't heard for a long time, the words come right back. "Eternal Flame" by The Bangles being one of those songs! -Marie The Articulate Image

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I saw them on a Gilmore Girls episode!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's funny, when I saw your title, "In Your Room" is the song that sprang to mind! Do people even listen to full albums anymore? There's no longer the need to grit your teeth through the songs you don't like...you just don't buy them.

    That's a little sad.

    A to Z Challenge: Entertainment! TV Talk>

    Isa-Lee Wolf

    A Bit 2 Read
    @IsaLeeWolf

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked the Bangles too and actually like that sing, In your Room.

    I'm wondering if you know what that song, Bell Jar, is referring to? It is clearly referrring to Sylvia Plath and her suicide a month after her book of poetry, "The Bell Jar," was published in 1967. If you didn't know that, you might want to look it up. She was a brilliant writer but mentally tormented.

    Did you also know that Susannah Hoff was under pressure to go solo and it was that that broke up the band.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I knew the 'bell jar' song is about Plath but only years after I heard about the song, Plath's life is pretty sad, but she got such brillant talent.

      thanks for your visits, have a lovely day.

      Delete
  9. Yes, I remember the Bangles and enjoyed their music. I love music, so my list is long of bands I enjoyed back in the day that include Duran Duran, Earth Wind & Fire, Led Zeppelin, Hall & Oates, Arrowsmith and Gladys Knight and the Pips. The list goes on - lol Music and books somehow relax me. Loved your topic. Over at Jan's Junk Journal, they are celebrating artwork this Friday if you get a chance to stop by. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm always amazed by the song lyrics I can remember...but I can't remember what I did yesterday :) Thanks for the visit yesterday!
    ~Katie
    TheCyborgMom

    ReplyDelete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it." -- Kurt Vonnegut